ADSM-L

Re: Longlasting tape-reclamation run

2001-03-05 09:29:04
Subject: Re: Longlasting tape-reclamation run
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:26:31 +0100
Hello Geoff,

Richard Sims wrote:

> Geoff - Greetings from Up Over.  ;-)
>
> >2. Influence of client type.
> >
> >   I have clients of the following types: Novell Netware, Unix, NT, and
> >also NT with the Lotus Notes agent.  Since I have collocation on my
> >onsite tape pool, I was able to determine that the tapes causing trouble
> >all belonged to Notes clients.  Looking at a list of my tape pool today
> >(about 200 volumes), I can say that for the non-Notes clients, the
> >number of clusters is always less than 10.  The Notes client volumes have
> >HUNDREDS (highest today is 967).
> >   I don't know if this is something to do with the Notes agent itself,
> >or just a result of the fact that Notes seems to generate vast numbers of
> >very small documents.
>
> Though we may have collocation activated in the server, I believe it to be
> the general case that API-based clients either cannot or do not collocate.
> (This is the case with HSM, at least.)  API-based clients which back up
> numerous small client files thus pose a special burden on the server.

setting up several STGs on our Server ( adsm3.1.2.40) I only have one STG with
(Client) Collocation - this is the only one which shows up 'clusters'
between 2 and just 4 ... This Pool just consists of 2 Clients ( Solaris -
multipurpose FileServer, client-compression turned on ) and at the moment
has 19 3590e Volumes / 3 Mio Files
the reclamation threshold is at 50 % and it runs without problem -
I just believe it has to do with the number of Clients, kind of Collocation
in the STG and at last with the total-number of tapes in that pool ...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

 Rainer Wolf                  rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm DOT de
 Tel: 0731-50-22482           Fax: 0731-50-22471
 University of Ulm            http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz
 University Computing Center  Albert-Einstein-Allee 11
 AG Basissysteme              89069 Ulm