ADSM-L

Re: How long will be backup task finished ?

2001-03-01 03:59:30
Subject: Re: How long will be backup task finished ?
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:59:56 +1300
How often will this take (the cold backup)?

You should have, a maximum, of 2 tape drives per SCSI connection(3 controllers).
Best to have 1 drive -> 1 SCSI controller.

The major bottleneck is the ability of the database to pump, at least 90MB(6 x
15)
per second to the tape drives. There is also the consideration that the data
might not steadily stream to the tape drives (LTO start/stop characteristics not
that good).

Using a diskpool as a buffer would need, at least, twice the performance
characteristics of the tape stream rate above. It would ensure the tapes are
streaming but it would need to be very fast.

Don't forget to tell us a report how it ended up going.

Cheers, Suad
--
 Suad Musovich (s.musovich AT auckland.ac DOT nz)
 Suad Musovich (s.musovich AT auckland.ac DOT nz)