ADSM-L

Re: DLT Tape capacity - I'm stumped

2001-03-01 03:11:48
Subject: Re: DLT Tape capacity - I'm stumped
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:12:11 +1300
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:14:48PM -0500, David Longo wrote:
> You need to redo the LABEL LIBVOL command with OVERWRITE=YES to format the
> old tapes for the DLT 8000.  (Be careful with overwrite=yes that you don't
> relabel tapes with data on them - this can and has been done)!

In my experience, the label command will not change the density of the tape.

Just backup a bunch of files manually (OS level) onto the device after you
twiddle
the override button to get the desired density or (if you are lucky enough to
have
a supported flavour of *nix) backup to the special device matching the
desired density. (I use tar cf /dev/rmt1.4 /junkdir )

Cheers, Suad
--
 Suad Musovich (s.musovich AT auckland.ac DOT nz)
 Suad Musovich (s.musovich AT auckland.ac DOT nz)