ADSM-L

DLT Tape capacity - I'm stumped

2001-02-27 13:44:23
Subject: DLT Tape capacity - I'm stumped
From: Marita Gonsalves <marita_gonsalves AT CARYACADEMY.PVT.K12.NC DOT US>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:44:44 -0500
Hello all :
About 3 weeks ago,  we upgraded our tape libraries from a DLT 4000 to a DLT
8000 (ADIC Faststor 22).
On the hardware side, I've set the density to 40c  on the tapes (all
Fujifilm DLTIV's) I reclaim.  I then do a "label libvol..." before I check
it in.  On the software side, I've set the  devclass format to DLT40C.
While the tape is being written to, I see an estimated capacity of 40GB's.
However, once it's full, the capacity is approx. 35 GB's.

When I talked with TSM's tech support, I was told that I should get atleast
80 GB's on a tape.  They couldn't tell me why I was only getting 35 GB's.  I
went through this listserv's archives and only came across one posting
titled "DLT8000 experience?" by Jesper Kjer on May 12, 2000 where he said
that half the time tapes do not format at 40 GB's.  In my case, it seems to
be all the time.   Is there something I may have missed in my configuration?
This is really driving me crazy and I'd appreciate any suggestions to fix
this problem.  I'm running TSM 3.7.3.6 on NT 4.0.

Thanks,

Marita Gonsalves
Information Services Consultant
Cary Academy, Cary NC