ADSM-L

Re: Hung Admin Sessions

2001-02-26 13:04:51
Subject: Re: Hung Admin Sessions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:04:11 -0500
We see a similar problem occasionally, but can't reproduce it on demand.

A long-running SQL query will run fine one day, hang the next.
I think it MAY be related to having another long-running process (such as
reclamation) in flight while the query is running. (But this could be
coincidence.)

You can cancel any active processes, and you can cancel the session that
started the long-running query, but that session never goes away, and never
times out.  Then any additional SQL queries also hang.  Eventually ALL
queries hang, although backups continue to run just fine.  You can leave the
situation there for days and it will never clear up on its on.  Eventually
you have to kill the server and restart it to clear the condition.

We are TSM 3.7.2 on AIX 4.3.3, 20 GB data base.
Doesn't happen on our other TSM 3.7.2 server, which is exactly the same
config, but only as a 3 GB data base.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert