ADSM-L

FIVE questions for TSM 4.1.2 (server on AIX, clients on Windows)

2001-02-22 18:30:17
Subject: FIVE questions for TSM 4.1.2 (server on AIX, clients on Windows)
From: "Caffey, Jeff L." <jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:30:43 -0600
Can somebody help me...?

We are in the process of implementing TSM, an IBM Shark, and a SAN all at
the same time (I'm swamped)!  We are replacing EMC's Data Manager, an EMC
Symmetrix, and Veritas' Backup Exec with one brand new TSM server running on
an IBM RS/6000 (H80, 1GB RAM, 500GB Internal SSA Disk for storage pools,
Gigabit Ethernet to LAN, Fibre Channel to SAN, 5 LTO tape drives, and as
much additional 'shark' disk as necessary) performing backups on the
following server platforms:

12 AIX (will grow to 13 by mid-March, currently backed up with EDM)
43 Windows (will grow to about 130 by mid-March, currently backed up with
Backup Exec)

While I could think of hundreds of things to ask, I'll limit my request to
these five TSM questions:

1.      When TSM performs incremental backups, does it backup the ENTIRE
file (at a file level) or does it only backup the CHANGES to the file (at a
binary level)?  EXAMPLE: When backing up our primary file server that
contains users' home directories with MS Exchange *.pst and *.pab files that
may be quite large, will it only backup the small changes to those large
files?

2.      When backing up MS Exchange files such as *.pst and *.pab, does it
require them to be closed so that it can have access, or will it back them
up while they are opened?  EXAMPLE: When (using the above example) TSM runs
it's backups, will the "Access Denied" message appear when it tries to
backup "user123.pst" because the user stayed logged in over night.

3.      Is there a SAN agent for Windows 2000 that would allow us to backup
the above environments without impacting the network?  EXAMPLE: Since the
server above is on IBM ESS disk ("Shark") attached via a Fibre Channel SAN,
can we stop using Ethernet to backup "user123.pst" and similar files?

4.      Is there a MAC agent that allows for the "illegal characters"
associated with Apple/Macintosh naming conventions?  EXAMPLE:  We have an NT
server that the MAC clients connect to.  This NT server contains the home
directories for all the MAC clients.  Veritas' Backup Exec handles these
files (and their "illegal characters") correctly, but TSM has problems.

5.      Can we "lock down" the option to restore files to any location other
than their original location so that "first level" support can restore files
from users' home directories, but not restore them to a location where they
can view them?  EXAMPLE:  I'd like to off-load some of my less technical
responsibilities to our Support Center, but I don't want to give them the
security to 'snoop' other peoples' home directories.

Thank you,

Jeff Caffey
Enterprise Systems Programmer
Pier 1 imports, Inc.  -  Information Services
jlcaffey AT pier1 DOT com
Voice: (817) 252-6222
Fax:   (817) 252-7299