ADSM-L

Re: Help requested on TSM Admin Position Description

2001-02-22 18:10:15
Subject: Re: Help requested on TSM Admin Position Description
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:09:33 -0600
Steve,

Our company is a $120 M manufacturing company with 1000 employees.  We use ADSM
(TSM 4.1 in about 10 days).  Runs on AIX, 6 TB total data on tape, 3575s as main
libraries, DLTs for offsite.  Total inventory of all tapes is about 800 volumes.
Backups are online in the libraries.  Archives are near-line on site (library
too small).

We have two admins who share the load.  I've worked with the system for 3 years
after inheriting it from a former employee; the other admin was trained by me
over the last 9 months or so.  Each of us "takes" the system for one week at a
time.

Whichever admin has the system that week, this is what is performed:
* daily operation surveillance (15 minutes spent checking the system's health is
critical for reliable operation).
* tape handling and process monitoring while system maintenance processes are
running.  This occurs once per week.
We have procedures governing those two activities.

Each network admin (we have five including the two *SM admins) also checks the
results of each system's backup at least once per week, using another procedure
we've developed.

The *SM admin devotes about 8-10 hours per week doing the stuff described above.
When I have the system, I sometimes do other special tasks that add to that
amount.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
ADSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM> on 02/22/2001 12:18:09 PM