ADSM-L

Re: AFS 3.6 butc deletedump

2001-02-21 16:13:53
Subject: Re: AFS 3.6 butc deletedump
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:14:24 -0500
Matt,

Thanks for responding.

Actually, I'm embarassed to admit that the retention parameters in the
copygroup for the AFS policy set were retaining deleted data for a year.  So,
I would have had to wait a year before the AFS data was reclaimed from the
tape.  I've since updated the retention parameters, and the tape space has
been freed.

I did write a synchronization script for the buta backup data.  Unfortunately
the butc backup data is all written to a single filespace.  That is another
drawback to the butc dump implementation.  The only way that I have found to
see the backup data from TSM output is to execute a 'query occupancy' on each
tape in the AFS storage pool, and then search the output files for the backup
dump ids.  This is not a nice implementatoin.  The butc convention of
creating a filespace for each dump was much nicer.

I think that I am going to adopt the convention of creating a new TSM node
name with each level 0 backup.  That way, when the data is no longer needed,
I can simply remove all of the backup data for the node.

Are you using buta for AFS 3.6?  I didn't think that was supported.

Kent

On Feb 21,  2:42pm, Matthew A. Bacchi wrote:
> Subject: Re:  AFS 3.6 butc deletedump
>
> >Is there a synchronization utility to force the synchonization of the TSM
> >data with the AFS backup database?
>
> Kent,
>       This is a good question, but I don't think there is.  I have used
BUTA
> for 1+ years now, and there is a sync option with the delbuta utility.
 When
> doing some testing with BUTC in the last six months I noticed there wasn't
> similar function.  I'm currently not using BUTC because the 'backup
> diskrestore' function doesn't work with BUTC on afs36, but this problem
could
> be a show stopper as well.  Anyway, I assume you have already read the
Release

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu