ADSM-L

Re: Guidance

2001-02-21 11:45:15
Subject: Re: Guidance
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:45:41 -0700
        Whew, that's a lot of questions. I'll chime in on how we handle
them.

Ben Bullock
UNIX Systems Manager

        We only back up the data on the host that is serving out the NFS
filesystems.
        We typically have the line "domain  all-local" in the dsm.opt on all
clients.
        No need backing up the same data 100 times.
> Does ADSM provide data encryption capability ?
        I have some marketing blurbs that say on version 4.1 of the client
under "Mobile client support"
        they have "data encryption" but I have no idea if it is out yet.
> How many client backups can run concurrently ?
        That is a setting on the tsm server that you can set as high as you
want depending on the limitations
        of your server. see the SET MAXSESSIONS parameter.
> Can ADSM back up open files ?
        Yes, there are some settings on the copygroup that determine how TSM
will handle open files.
        Look at the help for "update copy" and see what the 4 serialization
settings can be set to.
> Does ADSM support data compression ? If so, What is
> the compression ratio ?
        TSM can do data compression, although I don't know what the ratio
is. At our site we use
        the compression on the 3590E tape drives and get about a 3 to 1
compression rate.
> Can more than one tape be written to at the same time
> ? ie. Can full dumps and
> incremental be writing to two different tapes on
> different drive, simultaneously ?
        Yes, each session into the TSM server can write to a tape.
        If 2 sessions are running from the same client and they both need a
tape, they can both get one.
        With the "resourceutilization" setting on the client, you can have
the client
        start multiple sessions to the TSM server and therefore use multiple
tapes simultaniously.
        You will also want to look when you register a node to the TSM
server, because there is a
        "maximum mount points alowed" setting that can limit your client to
one tape at a time.
> How are SYMBOLIC LINKs handled?
        By default the link is backed up but not the actual file. You can
change this behaviour
        with the "archisymaslink" setting on the clients.
> How does ADSM handle media I/O errors during backup
> processing ?
        Depends on how bad the error is. If it is bad enough the session may
be aborted. We find that the
        client is able to continue on with all but the worst tape or tape
drive errors.
> How is security handled? Can users just recover their
> own files ?
>
> Can labelling be done at the same time that backups
> are running ?
        Yes, as long as you have 1 tape drive available and unmounted.
> Is there a procedure for making duplicate backups for
> offsite storage ?
        Yes, the " backup stgpool..." command makes the copies and then you
can get them
        out of the library using DRM or scripting it yourself.
> Does UNIX Servers require Root or can ADSM be
> configured to be fully functional from a non- root UID
> ?
        Hmm, we always have it installed and run the schedule daemon as
root. I have not tried it any other way. Anyone?