ADSM-L

Re: "Expire Inventory" taking way too long to complete

2001-02-20 12:50:49
Subject: Re: "Expire Inventory" taking way too long to complete
From: Ken Sedlacek <Ken_Sedlacek AT KYRUS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:55:19 -0500
Richard, you were right one.

After the "expire inventory" was completed, I did the "q occ" (query
occupancy) and we had about 6GB of AIX files expire on one of the AIX
servers.

That explains it!!

I just never observed this and was concerned as we all are when "unknown"
occurrences are observed.

Thanks for you help.

Ken Sedlacek
Kyrus Corporation
Office: 864-322-4260; Cell: 864-444-8375
Text Page: 864-444-7243, follow prompts
ksedlacek AT kyrus DOT com

Kyrus IT Support  (Internal: 4399)   (Greenville: 864-322-4399)
(Toll-Free: 888-413-4399)

                    Richard Sims
                    <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    "ADSM: Dist       Groups: Don't Expand
                    Stor Manager"        Subject:     Re: "Expire Inventory"
taking
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA        way too long to complete
                    RIST.EDU>

                    02/20/01
                    12:19 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

>We issue an expire inventory command on a daily admin schedule.
>Today, it is taking well over 1 hour to complete.

That might be the result of a retention threshold being reached,
or a large number of files having gone Inactive some time ago.
When the Expire Inventory completes, you will likely see some
large numbers of files in the stats.
Another possibility would be if someone inadvertently cut
retention periods, but an ACTivate POlicyset would have to
put it into effect, so would be conscious.

  Richard Sims, Bu