ADSM-L

Re: Formula to calculate # tapes required

2001-02-16 08:04:21
Subject: Re: Formula to calculate # tapes required
From: Glen Churchfield <gchurchf AT BWC.STATE.OH DOT US>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:03:34 -0500
I'll agree. When I built this backup solution about 9 months ago, I had the
benefit of extensive analysis from their Arcserve system of the number of
files, the total data, and the change per day to use in calculating the
storage pool sizes and number of tapes needed. I got the initial DB size
right on the money, but this AM, when I dragged out those numbers and
projected them forward to today, I find I have roughly 7 times the number of
tapes in use than I would have predicted then. In addition, I used native
capacity to calculate, but actually get a drive compression of about 2.5.
David's right about the formula.

Glen Churchfield
TSM Consultant
Frontway, Columbus