ADSM-L

ANR8301E I/O error on 3494 library - kinda urgent!

2001-02-15 10:02:13
Subject: ANR8301E I/O error on 3494 library - kinda urgent!
From: William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:02:17 -0500
AIX 4.3
TSM 3.7.3.0
IBM 3494
3590E1A's (4)

Last weekend we added 2 addititional 3590E's to our library. We also added
more SCSI controllers to the RS/6000 to support them. Right now I have 1
SCSI controller to 1 3590E drive. Nothing is chained. In preparation for
this, I deleted all the drives from the library in TSM, halted TSM, then
rmdev'd the existing /dev/rmtx's.

When everything was back up, cfgmgr found the drives, each on it's own
controller. I added them back in to TSM (def drive 3494 RMTx
device=/dev/rmtx). When I try to mount a tape in the /dev/rmt0 drive, I get
the following error:

ANR8301E I/O error on library 3494 (OP=005C6D37, SENSE=N/A, CC=00000023).
ANR8301E I/O error on library 3494 (OP=005C6D37, SENSE=N/A, CC=00000023).

and the drive goes into a polling state. To test this out, I halted TSM and
using the mtlib command I was able to successfully mount a tape in each of
the drives. I'm assuming this is telling me that it's now a hardware
problem, or a problem with the ATLDD or ATAPE (which are both at the latest
releases).

I have my CE here today, but he's kind of at a loss, too.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe where I could look up these OP and CC
codes?

TIA,
Bill Boyer
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional." - ???