ADSM-L

Re: 3494, multiple tsm's connected, balancing media

2001-02-14 17:58:53
Subject: Re: 3494, multiple tsm's connected, balancing media
From: Richard Cowen <richard.cowen AT ARTICULENT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:55:15 -0500
Snyder.John [Snyder.John AT CANADATRUST DOT COM] wrote:

>This configuration should allow us to "rebalance" the number of scratch
tapes between the different servers as required.   (ie: if I need to move
some tapes from server A to server B, I don't need to peel and stick any
volser labels!)     So far, so good...and something I've done occasionally
in the past.

>However, when we use DRM and insert tapes into the 3494 that have
returned from offsite, when we do a checkin for these returned volumes
(using "checkin libv MYLIB stat=scr search=yes devtype=3590 checklabel=no"),
all of the returned media gets checked into the one TSM server that issued
the checkin.

Or script the checkin process.  I had the script check the volid's against
the volhist file to see if was volume that was "ours", and only issue
checkins against those that matched.  I kept the volhist forever to keep
stats on volume usage, etc.  I used mtlib to get a list of inserted tapes.
You would also need to account for "new" scratch tapes that might need
labeling...