ADSM-L

Re: dsmc daemon

2001-02-14 14:30:01
Subject: Re: dsmc daemon
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:30:04 -0500
> I recently installed the tivoli adsm product on an HP 9000, running O/S
> version 11.00.  I kick off the scheduler daemon using nohup <full_path>/dsmc
> -sched -pass=**** 2> /dev/null &
>  The daemon starts, runs for a few seconds and then ends; no errors
> displayed, no entries in the syslog.
>   Anyone else experience this sort of thing and, if so, how did you rectify
> it?

The documentation calls for redirecting both standard output and standard
error. I think the command line shown above only redirects standard error. The
redirections we normally use are as follows:

>/dev/null 2>&1

In addition, I have seen a high incidence of inexplicable failures when using
nohup in environments other than AIX. I finally gave up on using nohup in such
environments. I use 'at now' instead.