ADSM-L

Performance Large Files vs. Small Files - ANOTHER QUESTION

2001-02-14 13:21:21
Subject: Performance Large Files vs. Small Files - ANOTHER QUESTION
From: "Diana J.Cline" <Diana.Cline AT ROSSNUTRITION DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:15:00 -0500
Thanks so far for the information that you have given me this morning.  I have
another question.

Suppose my client has a total of 1000 files.  My nightly backups usually only
find 1 file to backup that has been new/changed/deleted.  What is happening to
each of the other 999 files during the backup?

I'm assuming that the MASTER LIST of these 1000 files, their creation, modifiy
date, # of generations kept, how many there currently are, etc. are kept in the
TSM Server Database.   If we watch an incremental backup, via the GUI, we are
seeing that for this client the COMPARE time is horrible.  It takes FOREVER to
get to the file to be backed up.

The compare: is it the client who sends an updated list to the server or does
the server send yesterdays list to the client?  Where is this information
processed? On the Server or the client?

Thanks again.

Diana Cline
Ross Products Division