ADSM-L

Re: 3570 tape stuck??

2001-02-12 17:55:51
Subject: Re: 3570 tape stuck??
From: Ray <ray AT OPS.SELU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:56:11 -0600
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, David Longo wrote:

> Can you see if tape is physically in library or in a drive?

David,

It is physically in the library...i can see it.  Also i can do an audit
vol on the tape on either side of it, and they mount fine.

> Do q libvol and see if it shows up.

Yep, it's there...

> do q vol 0045E3 f=d and see status.

Status is R/W, one write error.  TSM had marked it R/O after the write
error, but after it passed a R/O audit vol, i updated it to R/W (to see if
it caught another write error).   This is how it all started with this
particular "problem" tape.

> do q actlog (with some time like begind=-1) sea=0045E3
>  and see what has been sequence of evnts with this tape.

The first error was "An I/O error occurred while accessing drive TAPE1
                          (/dev/rmt1) for QRYINQUIRY operation"

This is a new one on me.....so the write failed, and TSM marked it R/O.

> an Audit library lib_name checklabel=barcode
> will sync *SM with library.  (Do this with NO TAPES IN USE)  On my 3575-L32
> this takes about 20 seconds.

I let audit library run again for about 45 minutes, and it just sat
there, doing nothing....

> To checkout a tape that may be damaged use option checklabel=no.  A
> damaged won't checkout as the mount fails.

I tried with checklabel=no and got the same "Volume in use error".

AIX diag reports no problems, but there is some TAPE_ERR4 messages in the
error log when the write failed.  I'm checking these out now...but other
than this one volume, TSM seems to be running fine.

Thanks a lot for the tips!  If ya'll can think of anything else i might
try i'd really appreciate it...

later!
Ray