ADSM-L

Restoring Win2K profiles with 4.1.2 (was: Windows 2000 Client R edPiece available)

2001-02-12 14:55:50
Subject: Restoring Win2K profiles with 4.1.2 (was: Windows 2000 Client R edPiece available)
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:56:08 -0500
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Consumer Warning:  This information applies to restoring USER PROFILES on
Win2K PRO systems.
It does not normally apply to Win2K SERVER.  Unless you know what a USER
PROFILE IS, and you are interested in Win2K PRO bare metal restores, don't
read it, it will just give you a headache....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Tim,

We just tested a bare-metal restore for WIn2k Pro with the 4.1.2 client.
We ran the registry (system object) backup manually.  We found that the
logged on user profile is indeed saved in a subdirectory of adsm.sys, and
called NTUSER.DAT, as you said.

We were able to recover the profile by just dragging NTUSER.DAT from
adsm.sys to the appropriate place for that user's profile in Documents and
Settings/userxx subdirectory.

There is one trick to it, though:

You must copy the NTUSER.DAT from adsm.sys to the Documents and
Settings\userxx directory BEFORE that user ever logs on again after the bare
metal restore.

If there is not an NTUSER.DAT file in that directory, then WIn2K creates a
NEW profile when the user logs on, which will be the directory called
"userxx.domainname" or "userxx.domainname.00n", and it will be a copy of the
default profile.

(There may not be an NTUSER.DAT in that directory if the user always backed
up while logged on; or it may be an old copy if the user backed up some time
previously while logged off.  Personally I would compare the time stamps and
don't try to recreate the profile if there is a recent NTUSER.DAT copy in
Documents and Settings.)

If you get a new profile created under "userxx.domainname", you either have
to log on again as administrator and copy the NTUSER.DAT file from adsm.sys
to the NEW directory (AND copy the user's shortcuts from the old DESKTOP
directory, plus other stuff like that).  Or it is actually easier, In my
opinion, to go into the registry and point the user's profile back to the
old profile directory.

Anyway, the way to do it right is (1) do the bare-metal restore while logged
on as Administrator, not as userxx, and (2) after the bare-metal restore,
copy NTUSER.DAT from adsm.sys to the Documents and Settings directory BEFORE
you ever log on again as userxx.  If you DON"T get the right profile when
userxx logs on, look in Documents and Settings to see if you have gotten a
bogus new profile created instead, and work at cleaning it up.

None of the above will make much sense to someone else util they sit down
and LOOK at what is in adsm.sys and in the Documents and Settings directory.

MANY THANKS, Tim, for spotting this conflict in the Redpiece, you saved us a
BUNCH of time and confusion...

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert