ADSM-L

Re: High CPU utilization on AIX SP node with 1 gig memory

2001-02-09 14:51:32
Subject: Re: High CPU utilization on AIX SP node with 1 gig memory
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:56:25 -0500
> Sorry for not responding earlier.  Been rather busy.
> Just to clear a few things up.  This machine does not
> have the TSM server code on it.  It just has the 4.1.2
> client code.  The machine has 4 CPU's.  Before starting
> an incremental backup the CPUs are more that 50% idle.
> When a TSM incremental starts up the CPUs are 0-5% idle.
> Some of the hdisks are 100% busy and I/O wait is > 80%.
> I'm not the actual admin of the machine,  just a TSM resource
> who is getting posed the question and am not sure what things
> to look at for high CPU utilization issues.

You're starting ONE process and FOUR CPUs go busy??  Are you sure?
Have your AIX people run monitoring as the incremental backup
starts and runs, to gather information.  You can also turn on
client tracing to see where time is going.
Remember that during a basic Incremental the amount of work to
be done is proportional to the number of files in the file system
and in the filespace as stored on the server.  It sounds like a
huge file system is involved in this backup.
You might want to try a -incrbydate flavor of Incremental to
get contrasting numbers, which elminates having the server filespace
complement sent to the client, massaged by the client, and then
compared as it steps through the file system.

 Richard Sims, BU