ADSM-L

Re: DB2/2 Backup and Policy

2001-02-05 15:30:33
Subject: Re: DB2/2 Backup and Policy
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:09:40 -0500
Two things, the first one being the biggie - the DB2 Admin HAS to run the
commands to have the backups expire - otherwise they stay active forever.
If you do a "show versions NODENAME /DATABASENAME" you can see all the
versions of the backups.  If they all show Active, then the DBA isn't
running the delete command.  The second thing is, in the "show versions"
output, you will see the management class it's defined to (MC:name).  If
it's not the one you want to use, there's another problem.  On my DB2
systems (running on AIX, but it should work the same), I have a statement
in my include/exclude statement like this:

include /DATABASENAME DB2

That binds the database backups to the specified management class.  This
way I don't have to depend on the DBA, should they make any changes to
their configuration.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

"I'm one cookie away from happy." - Snoopy (Charles Schulz)