ADSM-L

Re: Using the command AWK on a SUN box

2001-02-05 13:35:27
Subject: Re: Using the command AWK on a SUN box
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:37:05 -0500
>I don't know what version of SunOS you are running but I see on 5.6 and
>5.7 there is awk and nawk. They seem to be different files(filesize is
>different and they aren't links). On AIX(4.2.1 & 4.3.3), I see that both
>/usr/bin/awk and /usr/bin/nawk are the same size(coincidence?). That might
>be your problem.

On a 2.5 Solaris system, 'awk' and 'oawk' are hardlinks to the same binary
program, and are "old awk".  That Solaris's 'nawk' is a separate binary,
where the name designates "new awk", which adds features supporting larger
scripts:

 - The ability to define functions;
 - Execute Unix commands from a script;
 - Process the results of Unix commands;
 - Process command line arguments more gracefully;
 - Work more easily with multiple input streams.

In AIX, 'awk' and 'nawk' are hardlinks to the same binary program, which can
behave as one or the other by virtue of detected invocation name.

  Richard Sims, BU