ADSM-L

Volhistory file and DR

2001-02-01 09:26:31
Subject: Volhistory file and DR
From: "Korpi, Don" <KorpiDon AT BFUSA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:28:09 -0500
Hello,

I have reviewed several old postings concerning the purpose of the
VOLUMEHISTORY file and am under the impression that as long as I know what
volume contains my last good DB backup,  I could manually create a
VOLUMEHISTORY file in the event of an offsite disaster recovery.  This is
operating under the premise that once the DB is restored,  a new
VOLUMEHISTORY file is created anyway,  based on the records within the DB.
I send full DB backups offsite daily and would receive a hardcopy of our
vault listing,  which calls out the newest DB backup,  along with the tapes
at the DR site.

Does anyone know of a reason that I would need to send a VOLUMEHISTORY file
offsite,  given the above information?

I am attempting to eliminate a cumbersome and unreliable 3.5" diskette we
have been sending offsite daily with this information.

Thanks,
Don