ADSM-L

dsmadmc query in loop hangs

2001-01-26 23:01:31
Subject: dsmadmc query in loop hangs
From: Kai G Hintze <Hintze.Kai AT AMSTR DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:27:00 -0700
I have a script that loops through a list and issues some queries. It runs
fine for a while, then hangs. Anyone willing to help me figure out why?

Environment is

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1997, All Rights Reserved.

Session established with server DUBLIN01: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.20

running on aix 4.1.5, using perl 5.005_03.

The goal is to "Audit Volume" all the volume in the library. We had some drive
problems, and suspect some tapes may be damaged, but we don't know which ones.

The general outline is:
create a list of all volumes in the library
loop through the list
   #this is supposed to be low priority, so:
   wait until no session is in MediaW state
   wait until no audit volume proccess is running
   wait until at least 25% of the drives in the library are available
   # conditions are ok to run another audit
   submit audit volume
   sleep 3 hours while the audit volume runs
endloop

The actual script is about 600 lines, so I'll mail it to anyone interested,
but I didn't want to inflict it on the whole mailing list.

It seems that it runs for a while, then just stops in one of the queries where
I am checking for conditions ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Kai.

"There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a
difference in this world: Those who are afraid to try themselves, and those
who are afraid that you will succeed." -- Ray Goforth