ADSM-L

Tuning a Solaris TSM 3738 server

2001-01-26 14:25:15
Subject: Tuning a Solaris TSM 3738 server
From: "Hagan, Patrick L" <haganpl AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:25:35 -0600
I can not seem to tune my Solaris server correctly. I have a Sun E450,
4-300mhz cpu's, 4GB of memory, and 2 GiGE ports, one for Unix, and one for
the NT world. As I loaded this machine with clients my db cache got really
bad, as low as 88% during backups. As you can imagine everything runs slow,
like expire inventory never finishes.

My db is 50GB using 74% and should get smaller in the near future. It's on 3
18gb disk drives, one dbv each, and they are TSM mirrored. My plan was to
raise the buffpool a little at a time until the db cache gets to 98%. Right
now it is at 131027, with 4GB of memory I believe this is way to small. I
raised the buffpool to 196608 expecting to see a small performance increase,
at least no worse. From what I saw my Unix, Unix db (archive), and NT
exchange clients stayed about the same. The weird thing is that the "normal"
NT servers backed up 3x slower than the night before. It seems like the NT
clients with the most files backed up the slowest. I tested this twice, and
got the same results.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on?  Does TSM just suck on Solaris? Is
there some kind of kernel mod I am missing?

Another thing I can't figure out is what size to use for the tcpwindowsize
on my TSM server. I am Backing up both Unix and NT so I am trying 1024. If
someone has a similar system as I do, can you send me your dsmserv.opt file?

Thank you for your time,

Patrick Hagan
BP Amoco - Houston