ADSM-L

Re: shared 3590

2001-01-25 11:30:50
Subject: Re: shared 3590
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:32:14 -0500
> We recently included four new Magstar drives to an existent 3590 library
> that is being used in our mainframe environment, to allow us use it also
> with our TSM.
>
> We connected and configured it and it seems to be ready for use, but I
> cannot manage to check in any tape.
>
> When I try to label  the volume ts0001 using
> LABEL  LIBVOLUME IBM-1 ts0000 CHECKIN=SCRATCH DEVTYPE=3590 OVERWRITE=NO
> TSM prompts me to insert the volume into the library. When I do it, the
> volume is assigned to the device category 000F (I configured the library
> to have a device category of h012d for scratch volumes) and the label
> command fails  with this message:
>
> 01/25/01 11:31:43     ANR8846E Volume TS0001 is assigned to a category
> that does
>                        not belong to library IBM-1.

A 3590 is a tape drive, not a library. We have an IBM tape library with a
mixture of 3490 and 3590 drives. All of the drives are attached to our
mainframe. The library notifies the mainframe software whenever a cartridge is
entered. The mainframe software runs a locally developed exit routine that
decides whether the cartridge should be marked for scratch or private use. I
suspect that your mainframe system has a cartridge entry exit routine that
specifies private use for any volume serial number not known to be a scratch
tape. The library is probably using category 000F for mainframe private
volumes (this is the default private volume category for a library that only
needs one private volume category). You probably need to get the exit routine
changed so that it declines to offer an opinion on cartridges belonging to the
TSM server (the exit would do this be returning a return code of 12). This
would cause the library to leave the cartridge in the category code for newly
entered volumes until the TSM server requested a change in the status of the
cartridge.