ADSM-L

Re: Can Mac clients restore ?????

2001-01-25 10:23:18
Subject: Re: Can Mac clients restore ?????
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:16:16 EST
The short answer appears to be "not very well".

We've had a myriad of problems with our Mac clients. First
the scheduler and now the inability to restore folders.
Granted, we are running ADSM v3.1.2.5x on VM, but support
assured me that v3.7 and even v4.1 clients would work
(new features, of course, not available). We're stuck
with v3.1.0.8 if we wish to backup and restore folders.
If we went to v3.7.2 and tried to restore folders (files
seemed to work fine, but try to restore an entire
Mac by selecting each file individually!), it bombed;
a new backup with v3.7 and the same thing happened. Likewise
with v4.1.2. Our Mac community (over 1200 of them) needs
v4.1 for the scheduler and OS 9.0.4 support.

We *are* going to AIX and v4.1, but the transition doesn't
happen over night (I have 6,500 accounts left to move
before March 2002), and Macs are very important to us.
Testing on AIX with Macintosh clients is going 'ok' so
far, but I'm not holding my breath...

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University