ADSM-L

Re: Does Reclamation work for Tape Capacity?

2001-01-24 14:25:01
Subject: Re: Does Reclamation work for Tape Capacity?
From: Scott Foley <sfoley AT NETDOCUMENTS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:26:37 -0700
I have an offsite tape with a 60 Gig capacity that has only 3 Gig of data on
it.  We have a retention period of 30 days for previous versions of files
and 7 years for deleted files.  As I see it the data on this tape will not
even start to expire for 30 days.  It is likely that the data on this tape
will not hit the 60% reclaim limit for six months or more.  This means that
I will send off another 180 tapes before any are returned.  I don't have 180
tapes.

So while the reclamation process would work, in this case it does not seem
practical. Is it true that the reclamation process looks at the same Pct.
Reclaimable Space that I see when I run "q vol stg=copypool f=d".  While I
know that the tape can hold a lot more data, does TDM?