ADSM-L

Re: Does Reclamation work for Tape Capacity?

2001-01-24 14:02:52
Subject: Re: Does Reclamation work for Tape Capacity?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:02:19 -0500
>...I want to combine these 40 copypool tapes onto only 2 or 3
>copypool tapes.  I had one person tell me that the reclamation
>process should do this for me.

Scott - Reclamation will certainly combine tapes...
        but how much can be reclaimed and how quickly depends
upon your retention policies and Expiration being run.  The rate at
which you will see tape data compaction thus "depends": the numbers
you see out of Expirations will be your gauge, combined with the
rate at which the Pct Util value on volumes declines.

Note that some offsite storage vendors are getting into providing
electronic vaulting services, which will alleviate the chronic
problems we all have with partially full tapes and all the painful
tape handling and schlepping involved.  I would think that Tivoli
would be working with such vendors to develop compatible and mutually
beneficial facilities.

  Richard Sims, BU