ADSM-L

Re: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data

2001-01-20 11:56:34
Subject: Re: Backupset Restore of TDP Domino Data
From: Eric Lindbeck <elindbec AT SCTCORP DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:58:08 -0500
James,

Good question.  Our primary goal is to find a cost-effective way to
send our data off-site (Domino & vanilla NT files).  Additionally, we
need to extend our data retention.  We can retain only 5 versions of
our Domino db's in our library (which is pretty much full and not
upgradeable), but need to keep 3 months.

We've been creating the backupsets on a DLT stacker.  As far as TSM is
concerned, its a manaul library, but there's some intelligence in it
that will mount the next tape when the current tape is filled.

What I'm thinking now is that the best option is to go with the copy
storage pool on the DLT stacker.  We'll still have only 5 versions
worth of retention, but at least we'll get the data off-site.
Unless......is there a way for the copy storage pool to live by
retention policies which are different from its backup storage pool?

Thanks,
Eric L.

                    James
                    Thompson             To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <mezron@HOTMA        cc:
                    IL.COM>              Subject:     Re: Backupset Restore of
TDP Domino Data
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    01/19/01
                    10:08 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Eric,

Since you are using the TDP for Domino connect agent to perform the
backups,
you can not use backup sets for restore.  You have explained the steps
you
are
trying to do, but haven't really stated what business need you are
trying to
fulfill.
Why do you want an extra copy of the domino databases?  Is it to
provide
redundancy in case of a restore?  If so, a copy storage pool would be
better
alternative?
Once again, currently only the backup archive client is aware and can
take
advantage of backupsets.   To the server, active versions of files
look all
the same
(it's just data), so you can generate backupsets of api data.  But it
is a
waste of a
tape since you will not be able to restore from it in any situation.

James Thompson