ADSM-L

Re: polling vs. prompted scheduling

2001-01-12 10:12:22
Subject: Re: polling vs. prompted scheduling
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:12:59 -0500
The most common reason for this message I have found has nothing to do with
scheduling methods.

It, in my experience, means either the client is down, *SM scheduler is not
running on client, or there is some type of Communictaion problem between them.
 (I have had several instances lately with an NT4.0 client where we could ping
both ways but *SM couldn't talk either way.  Som comm problem at client
resolved by rebooting)

David B. Longo
Systems Administrator
Health First, Inc. I/T
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM 01/12/01 09:28AM >>>
I'm confused.  I know what the two different scheduling methods are, but I
don't think my server does.  I have the server set to do client polling, but I
still get error messages in the activity log that look like this:

01/11/01   15:03:39      ANR8214E Session open with 9.66.95.61 failed due to

                          connection refusal.

01/11/01   15:03:39      ANR2716E Schedule prompter was not able to contact
client
                          JOHNPAULPC.BTV.IBM.COM using type 1 (9.66.95.61
1501).

What does this mean? For all you who think I'm crazy, here's the output from
the "q st" command:

                           Scheduling Modes: Polling

(well, it's amended)  The strange thing is that the server has been set to
client polling for years, so it's not a recent change.

TIA

-Matt Bacchi