ADSM-L

Commits to fragmented DB

2001-01-09 11:11:09
Subject: Commits to fragmented DB
From: Ehland Ann J <ehland.aj AT MELLON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:11:35 -0500
Hi *SMers!

We are running TSM Version 3, Release 7, Level 4.0 on OS/390.

Recently we have been encountering problems with our recovery log filling up
quickly.  Our DB is 38 gb and the recovery log is at the maximum amount of 5
gb.  We've been told that our problem with the recovery log is due to our
database being so fragmented, therefore it takes a long time to complete the
commits.  Support was then surprised to hear that this is the same database
that we've been using since ADSM Version 2.

Is this so unusual???

I've tried searching the Redbooks for upkeep procedures like they used to
have for DFSMShsm, but can't find anything.  I'm particularly interested in
reorganizing/defragging the database.  Is there some TSM utility to do this
or will we need to use IDCAMS as we do for other VSAM files?

Thanks!

Ann Ehland
Enterprise Fixed Media Storage Services
MELLON FINANCIAL CORPORATION

DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.