ADSM-L

Re: Importing / full backup problem

2001-01-08 13:15:28
Subject: Re: Importing / full backup problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:15:45 -0500
>     I have been exporting various client node data from an OS290 V3.1.2.50 to
>an AIX 3.1.2.50 environment which has completed without error. However, I have
>just ran an incremental backup (with -incrbydate) to test the first backup. For
>some reason the client has backed up the whole contents of the drive instead of
>just what has changed. I then ran the backup again about 1 minute after the
>noriginal backup and the client backed up all of the files again (even though
>there is no way all of the client data could have changed). I have since ran a
>full Server database backup and repeated the client backup a third time but it
>still insists on backing up all of the data.

Doing a 'dsmc q fi' after the backup may provide a clue.  The -incrbydate
should be taking the date that the server got for the last incremental backup;
but as the B/A manual says, the next -incrbydate will back it all up again if
the server timestamp did not get updated.  I would do an Incremental without
-incrbydate for the first run, and of course check that the system times of
the client and server are equivalent.
the client and server are equivalent.

   Richard Sims, BU