ADSM-L

Re: exabyte mammoth-2 tape drives

2001-01-05 22:58:46
Subject: Re: exabyte mammoth-2 tape drives
From: sekar n <nsekar99 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:59:23 -0800
Hi,
I have a IBM 7331-305 on IBM RS6000 - 140P with twin
Exabyte mammoth drive with 20 catridge ACL.
AUTOLIB is defined to TSM ver 3.7 with AIX 4.3..
I did have problem on restart of the system with the
lib definitions of TSm going off, which i initially
circumevened by making the devices defined and
available in the init scripts. The reason probably was
that aix also recognises as one of the boot device
also. Also I could not use those drives for other
operations.
Later, i remember to have read a message in this very
club, stating that if the drives to be included for
TSm is defined for AIX first and then to Tivoli, the
problem would be solved. Tivoli has supplied device
details as per lpp which is stored as Tivoli Tape ...

Hope this helps.

I have also been wanting to find out the longivity of
the mammoth storage media.  Earlier media of exabyte
had a notable shelf storage period of 2-3 years after
which the media is to be re-written. Please correct me
if iam wrong on my observ.

thanks.

sekar narasimhan
Chennai, India.

nsekar99 AT yahoo DOT com

--- Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>