ADSM-L

Re: how to speed up NT restore?

2001-01-05 09:59:00
Subject: Re: how to speed up NT restore?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:59:21 -0500
>I have been restoring  an NT client for about 8 hours now, a bare-metal
>restore.
>( DLT) tape mounts, ...
>The storage pool for this client is not collocated.

Peter - You're rather stuck now, and I'm sure can see why collocation
        is so valuable.  And DLT generally has been reported to be an
inferior performer in start-stop operations that restorals call for.  What you
might do is activate collocation, reduce retention policies to minimal values,
do an Expire Inventory, and then let Reclamation run, which will reorganize
the reclaimed tapes in collocated order.  But no matter what you do will take
a lot of time (including Export).  In any case, activate collocation now, for
the future, choosing the type you can afford according to number of tape
drives and client schedules.See "Restoral performance" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts for other ditties that may help out.

  Richard Sims, BU