ADSM-L

how to speed up NT restore?

2001-01-05 07:57:08
Subject: how to speed up NT restore?
From: Peter Koblauch <Peter_Koblauch AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:57:32 -0500
Hello,

    I have been restoring  an NT client for about 8 hours now, a bare-metal
restore.
    The server is an RS/6000 at ADSM 3.10.
   The problem is that it until now only some MBs have been restored and
the client
    will need many GBs before it is done   ... Looks like this could take
days.

   The activity log and 'q session' shows that the restore session is doing
numerous
    ( DLT) tape mounts, and even when no mounts are outstanding very little
data is
   transferred from the server to the client. Looks like the data for this
client might be spread
   over hundreds of tapes. The storage pool for this client is not
collocated.

   Is there a way to speed up the restore?
   Would it make sense to do an "export node"  to tapes followed by an
"import node"  in order to force
   the data to fewer tapes or would I then just be spending time in the
"export" instead?
   Is there something else I can do?

--
any help would be appreciated!