ADSM-L

Re: TSM - Multi-CPU

2000-12-28 06:19:32
Subject: Re: TSM - Multi-CPU
From: Fredrik Lundholm <exce7 AT CE.CHALMERS DOT SE>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:20:06 +0100
On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:32:33AM +0200, Marco Supino wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was looking at the Doc. of the TSM 4.1, and couldn't find whether it
> supports multi-cpu's,

I'm running tsm 4.1.2 on a 3 CPU Sun E3500. Works fine.
How do you determine that your Ultra-10 440Mhz is not enough?
If you have a machine which only runs the tsm-server and not the client
it might suffice, alas the U10 only sports slow/narrow PCI and has
very little room for expansion. My server has 10 FC-AL ports, 3 100MB network-
ports 3 Wide fast SCSI ports and one gigabit ethernet interface.
So  TSM likes fat networks (if backing up over the net) and fast IO
for libraries and diskcache. Personally I would not recommend anything
less than a Sun U60 for the job. The E450 also seems viable.

> Another question, will the TSM run better on a IBM RS/6000 machine with
> AIX ?, i might consider buying a multi-CPU RS/6000 machine, instead of a
> Sun machine, what do you think ?

The AIX support in tsm seems a tad more mature than for Solaris, more
fetureas available (AFS/DFS) etc. If you have AIX expertize in house
I don't see why not.
I never touched an AIX box myself so I don't know if cost is prohibitive.
/wfr Fredrik