ADSM-L

Re: RESTART CLIENTS SERVER

2000-12-27 02:01:57
Subject: Re: RESTART CLIENTS SERVER
From: "France, Don G (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:02:19 -0800
This is NOT for the timid;  time was there were shared DLL's that would get
updated, via PTF;  Windows has a method for replacing
system/kernel/shared-DLL files that are (predictably) locked from
write-access during normal system operation... the only way to make those
changes take effect is to reboot (there's a developer convention that places
these files in a "secret" place that gets checked during reboot), so the
newer version will replace the older one.

My philosophy has been to honor the message that the install script issues -
if it says a reboot is needed, then schedule it as part of your change
management process.  We always say a reboot is necessary, then if it's not
needed, we complete the CR-closed procedure (ie, we test to verify the new
level is installed and running, especially for the scheduler - you did stop
all the TSM client services before the upgrade, right?!?).

When I worked as a tester, we did many an install-test and ignored the
re-boot message... never saw a case where it had a notable impact - but,
now, working with production-user data, I never skip the reboot.  You may
find the update works fine (for your environment) without the reboot... but,
you're playing with fire, and should know that.  The install scripts
sometimes have bugs, so it's wise to always reboot, especially the server,
imho.

Hope this helps!

Don France

Technical Architect - Unix Engineering/P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net
PACE - http://www.pacepros.com