ADSM-L

include/exclude

2000-12-26 11:08:38
Subject: include/exclude
From: Stephen Fromm <fromm AT NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:03:54 -0500
I'm backing up files on a Solaris 2.5.1 box and on a Solaris 2.7 box using
Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.20.

I want to exclude files and directories so as not to run up my bill with the
people providing the backup service.  Many of my exclude commands don't seem
to work, however.  I took over simple admin jobs for this (I assume I'm
administering the *client*, not the *server*) from someone; her exclude
statements seemed to work pretty well.  Backups are automated (scheduled),
occuring weekdays at midnight, and are incremental.

(1) If I change the include/exclude file, when are the changes "read"?  Do I
have to kill and then restart the daemon (dsmc)?

(2) Is there any way to test my include/exclude statements using the
backup/restore GUI?

Syntax questions:

From HTML help files:
Using the UNIX Backup-Archive Clients:
Exclude:
"The exclude.dir option works only if the excluded directory is a
subdirectory; if you explicitly specify the directory or the files within
it, the file is backed up."
I don't understand that.  Does it just mean "use exclude.dir with
directories only, not files"?

"You cannot, however, specify wildcard characters on the directory name when
you want to exclude a single directory."
I'm confused by this.  I assume what the authors really intended was that
it's not a good idea, since the pattern might match other directories that
you didn't intend.  As written, though, it states the syntax is *illegal*.

Under the discussion of the "pattern" parameter, it states:
"For the exclude.dir option, the pattern is a directory name, not a file
specification, and wildcards are not permitted."
If /export/home/foo is a directory, does this mean /.../foo is illegal, or
/export/home/fo* is illegal, or both?

sjfromm