ADSM-L

TSM Survey Results...

2000-12-19 16:21:40
Subject: TSM Survey Results...
From: Andrew Whitcroft <awhitcro AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:21:49 -0500
Hi All --

Here are the results of the TSM Survey I did recently.
I found the results quite interesting. So, without further
delay here are the numbers:

Admin Style
--------------------------
TSM Commandline.........25
TSM Commandline.........25
TSM Web interface.......11
Scripts.................21
Old Admin GUI........... 5

Scripts
--------------------------
Perl.................... 6
Perl.................... 6
Shell Script............15
Rexx.................... 4
TSM Macros.............. 2
C programs.............. 1
Java.................... 1

Comments:

After reading through all 28 of the survey's, I would like to
share a few observations with you:

1) Some of you manframe admins have come up with some
   really creative management solutions. Using manframe
   console monitoring and REXX.

2) It appears that about 25% do their primary admin using
   the command line interface. I was suprised to see this
   trend.

3) Practically everybody answered with multiple options when
   asked which they used: Commandline, Web, or Scripts. A
   fairly typical response was, I use scripts for management,
   but the command line for adhoc stuff.

4) Five of you still use and LOVE the old windows admin
   software. Many thought I work for IBM, which I don't, and
   asked if we could PLEASE bring back support for this
   interface. Hopefully, somebody from IBM is reading this
   and will respond.

5) Schwaiger ( SWR AT grs DOT de ) wrote his admin stuff in C, Motif
   and shell scripts. I am VERY impressed, you rock Schwaiger!

6) As you can tell from the numbers, scripting is very popular!
   That ought to be a hint to you commandline only folks...

7) In case your wondering, I got a survey from an IBM'er who
   says they use shell and perl scripts for management.

Thank you all for sharing your information with me, it was very
interesting, and quite helpful. If you have any specific questions
about the survey results, please feel free to contact me directly.

Andy.

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/