ADSM-L

Re: Monthly Full backups

2000-12-19 14:18:47
Subject: Re: Monthly Full backups
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:18:37 -0800
>We have some users who want to do full monthly backups and keep these
>separate from the normal backups (ie. do a backup once a month
>and keep for
>1 year).
>
>We do this via the Archive, but it has it's limitations:
>- must specify each drive letter/ file system
>- can't archive all of the WIN2K System Ojbects

I also do "monthly archives" for some of our people, with more coming. In my
opinion, and this is the way I specify to my customers, an archive is
supposed to be the data that is most important to their contract/work. To me
this means you can probably eliminate the C: drive altogether.

I don't see that as a limitation, instead I see it as the best way to keep
people from archiving superfulous things that just take up space in the
database anyway. Just think how fast that many objects can add up if you
have 100 or so clients to archive. A "full monthly backup" is probably not
going to be used for anything by the time 9 months has gone by. Who in the
world would want to recover a system that far in the past? I believe it's
the customer data they'd be looking for so why not just archive that to
begin with?

Geoff
Just my thoughts, I know not everyone will agree....