ADSM-L

Re: Mixing 36 GB with 18 GB SSA Disks

2000-12-19 13:45:01
Subject: Re: Mixing 36 GB with 18 GB SSA Disks
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:44:53 -0600
Hi Mahesh,

as the earlier posted indicated it will technically work just fine. However,
they may be situations where it is not ideal.
ex:
a) you use striped LV's
b) you use RAID array's
  Both of these will waste any extra space on the new disks, ie 18GB (36-18GB)
c) if you mirror from an 18GB disk to 36GB disk, they may not be the same speed
d) if you only have 12 disks now, you may want to put 4 news disks on the other
SSA adapter port

Also, make sure that the PP size of the existing Volume Group will support the
36GB disks. If it won't you can
a) modify the 'factor' of the volume group, or
b) make another volume group of just the new 36GB disks

I don't have NSM, but I have 3 VG's for my TSM server. One VG is the log and
database on RAID 1 (2 x 9.1). The second is 6 x 9.1 for my disk storage pool
(RAID 0). And finally I have 8 x 18.2 for an NFS mounted filesystems that the
RDBMS database backups to go.

Miles
>>> mahesh.babbar AT ST DOT COM 19-Dec-00 4:44:57 AM >>>
     Hello ,

     My NSM 3466 is having following config:

     RS 6000 Model H-50 with

     IBM SSA 7133 Model D40 having 18.2 GB Disks ( 12 Nos.). It means 4 SSA
     slots are free for additional 4 spindles.

     OS : AIX 4.3

     TSM Ver: 3.7.3

     The DB Volumes are mirrored in TSM.

     Can I add 4 more disks of 36 GB each ( basically mixing with extisting
     18 GB disks) and have TSM's DB Volumes mirrored ? Or I have to stick
     with 18.2 GB disks only.

     Thanks in advance.

     Best Regards

     Mahesh