ADSM-L

Re: EXCLUDE.DIR and EXCLUDE.FS

2000-12-12 20:08:21
Subject: Re: EXCLUDE.DIR and EXCLUDE.FS
From: Cameron McDonald <cameronm AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:56:59 +1100
Hi All,

I agree that it is painful when the documentation is not clear or simply
not there.

This concept is at least brought out in the TSM implementation course.
Exclude.dir still makes sense when you know that anything listed in this
is taken out of the 'traverse list'.  That is, any files in any directory
under this is not even considered/processed.  Therefore an include for
another directory or file in this 'excluded' path can't posssibly have
anything match against it.

As I understand, it is primarily targeted at removing large (i.e. lots of
files) directories or filesystems that you will be excluding anyway.
Without this you would inspect every file in the path and match them
against the list until you hit the exclude.  If there are lots of files
this can be a large load on the system to achieve nothing, so not even
inspecting the whole directory structure seems sensible.

For those attempting the certification exam, this question was on the
sample test and in my real exam. :-)

Thanks,
Cameron.

--
Cameron McDonald        Email: cameronm AT ibk.com DOT au
Cameron McDonald        Email: cameronm AT ibk.com DOT au