ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore Product fro the Kernel Group

2000-12-12 08:44:09
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore Product fro the Kernel Group
From: "Shawn D. King" <Shawn_King AT IDG DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:48:53 -0500
Hi Mark

We had The Kernel Group come out to our company about a month ago and they were
going to do a demonstration of the product, Our shop is mostly NT, but we also
are running Novell, and Digital Open VMS and the Kernel Group Software runs on a
Unix Platform, If you have a Unix environment the product may work well, but In
our environment, there were too many variables that had to be met (ie:the client
being restored, the TSM Server, and the BMR Server all needed to be on the same
Network) Our environment had 4 virtual Networks, and it took us most of the day
the set up the environment for the demo, and in the end, the product did not
restore the system, I ended up working that night restoring the machine with the
TSM product by itself.

As I mentioned, I am a NT shop, and the product is not ready for NT as of yet,
they kept telling me that day that they were still developing the product to
work with NT, and by early next year it should perform better with NT, In theory
the product seems like a god send, you are suppose to be able to just boot up to
the BMR Server and you are suppose to be able to just walk away while your
restore goes unattended. I am still interested in the product, but I think I am
going to wait until next year to give the developers of BMR some time to work
out the kinks that are still in the system.

If you are interested a demo of the product I can give you a contact name, I
know that they will be more then willing to come out to your site and do a demo
of the product for you.

Regards
Shawn D. King

Data Protection Manager
International Data Group
5 Speen Street
Framingham, MA 01701

(508) 935-4391

"Kovacs, Mark" <Mark.Kovacs AT PHARMA DOT COM> on 12/12/2000 07:46:17 AM