ADSM-L

Re: Questions on scheduler TSM4.1.1 Windows Client

2000-12-07 15:11:07
Subject: Re: Questions on scheduler TSM4.1.1 Windows Client
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:12:41 -0500
Hello Mike,

I am very pleased to hear that you regard the fact that the "Finished"
command window that requires a manual close is a bug.  We view it as a bug
also, and we have an open PMR (82452,b180) on this.  However, we are being
told (so far) that changing this would be a design change, and we were told
we would have to submit a DCR (Design Change Request) to get this changed,
or pay someone to make the change.  We have had users here refuse to use
this version of the client software (3.7 or 4.1) because of this problem,
which they find to be too annoying to deal with.

This seems to be a fairly simple change to fix.  What needs to be done is
to move the .BAT file out of the Startup folder into the baclient
folder.  Then create a shortcut in the Startup folder that points to the
.BAT file.  The shortcut should have the "close on exit" option specified,
which will cause the window to close automatically, instead of leaving it
around.  Startup folders should really only include shortcuts anyway, IMHO.

BTW, I agree with you that most novice users just want to have their
machine backed up without any intervention or awareness.  And, moving the
scheduler off of the task bar and into the system tray is a "good
thing".  If we could get the window to close automatically, then it would
be usable for us.

Any chance that this simple change can be implemented in the next fix level
instead of in the next version?  We are being told that design changes are
made at version levels, not fix levels.  Frankly, I feel that this is a
defect, not a design change, and we are being given the runaround on
this.   So, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated by (at
least) us, but I suspect many other sites as well.  We have many 3.1
clients, and this problem is keeping us from upgrading them to 3.7 or 4.1.

Thanks.

..Paul
--

--
Paul Zarnowski                         Ph: 607-255-4757
Paul Zarnowski                         Ph: 607-255-4757