ADSM-L

Re: Two ethernets for redundancy/performance?

2000-12-07 11:38:01
Subject: Re: Two ethernets for redundancy/performance?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:28:22 -0500
Yes -- it looks funny, but it works.

Set up FOUR entries in your dsm.sys -
1) Servername server-a
   TCPserveraddress     nic-card-1
2) Servername server-b
   TCPserveraddress     nic-card-2
3) Servername server-c
   TCPserveraddress     nic-card-1
4) Servername server-d
   TCPserveraddress     nic-card-2

Then, in the initSID.utl:
1) maxsessions=4
2) define a SERVER stanza for each of the four server definitions in the
same order, with SESSIONS 2.

If everything is working correctly, you will run two sessions to server-a
and two to server-b. If nic-card-1 fails, you will get errors on server-a,
two sessions on server-b, errors on server-c, and two sessions on server-2
-- for a total of four sessions on nic-card-2.
You will need to have the two cards on two different subnets or networks!
You will need to have the two cards on two different subnets or networks!

I run two gigabit cards on two seperate networks (and have an additional set
of 100 MB cards on additional networks as an additional layer of redundancy)
and am currently limited by the speed of the Quantum DLT7000 drives at 7 to
9 MB/Second over a three-hour period.

You'll also need to set PASSWORDREQUIRED YES in the stansas, and initialize
the passwords with backint according to the documentation (at least, I need
to with the ADSM 3.1 client; haven't tried the 3.7 client yet) as the
generated ADSM password only works with the server nic address used in the
normal B/A client dsm.sys.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO Inc