ADSM-L

Novell client taking longer to perform archive

2000-12-02 12:58:27
Subject: Novell client taking longer to perform archive
From: Thomas Bebee <tbebee AT TWCNY.RR DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:53:39 -0500
Hello All:

We recently upgraded our ADSM 3.1.2.40 server to TSM 3.7.4.

Client backups and archives seem to be functioning OK under new server with the
exception of a Novell server.

Daily incremental backups run as before with ADSM server, but archives seem to
be running excessively slow.

For example we have volume that contains approximately 25 GB of data.  Before
the upgrade, an archive of the
volume would take between 4.5 - 6 hours depending on what else was running at
the time.

After this server upgrade, we have attempted to archive the volume twice.  The
first time, we assumed something was wrong and cancelled the job, but did not
see any errors in the actlog.  After reviewing dsmsched/dsmerror logs on the
client, it appears the archive was running properly, just slow.  One more
attempt yielded the same results (10-20 % of volume archive after approx. 7+
hours).

Novell client running Netware 5.0 SP8
ADSM client is 3.1.0.8
Volumes are not NSS
Client not compressing data - slow processor/decent size network pipe

We are planning to upgrade the client to TSM 3.7, but I am just curious if
anyone has encountered a similar experience - just in case the client upgrade
does not have any affect on the problem.

Thanks.

Tom Bebee
Welch Allyn Inc.
Skaneateles Falls, NY