ADSM-L

Include/Exclude list

2000-12-01 10:24:34
Subject: Include/Exclude list
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:24:39 -0500
Hey again,

We've been forced into the workstation backup business and I'm trying to
come up with as restrictive an options file as we can get away with.

The goal is to restrict backups to personal documents and Netscape
browser and email settings (well the real goal is to have folks use the
existing server to store files but...). We've been playing with various
include and exclude arrangements and have noticed some interesting
behavior. We can get it down to where we've got the desired files and
folders backed up using the list below:

Include "C:\Documents & Settings\XXX\My Documents\XXX\*.*"
Include "C:\Documents & Settings\XXX\My Documents\XXX\*"
Include "C:\Documents & Settings\XXX\My Documents\XXX\...\*"
Include "C:\Documents & Settings\XXX\My Documents\XXX\...\*.*"
Include "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\default\*.*"
Include "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\default\*"
Include "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\default\...\*"
Include "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\default\...\*.*"
Exclude.dir "C:\Program Files\Netscape\users\default\cache"

Now, if I put Exclude "?:*" at the top of this list, no other files on
the disk are backed up but the directory structure is. Not terrible from
a space standpoint but could be pretty confusing for a user trying to
restore something. If, however I make the top (last) statement
Exclude.dir "?:*" then nothing but files at the root of C: are backup up
!? In other words it overrides all the include statements below it,
what's up with that?

Any suggestions other than a whole slew of exclude.dir statements? What
I really need is a global exclude after processing the includes.

This is client level 4.1.1_16 backing up to ADSM 3.1.2.50 on OS\390 2.6

thanks,

--
Jim Kirkman
Jim Kirkman