ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and DB2 (really UDB 6)

2000-12-01 09:06:35
Subject: Re: ADSM and DB2 (really UDB 6)
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:06:40 -0500
Hello,

Some followup questions on this. I followed the following steps/tips
(thanks go to bx for the detailed response!) My notes below original
steps. This is UDB on  NT trying to talk to ADSM 3.1.2.50 on OS\390 2.6

1. install db2
already done by IBM

 2. install adsm/tsm _api_ client ( version 3 or higher for udb )
ver 4.1.1_16

 3. set the enviroment variables to point to your *sm installation
 ( this is described in the udb admin guide )
added the following: DSMI_CONFIG >c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient
                               DSMI_LOG>c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\api
                               DSMI_DIR>c:program files\tivoli\tsm\api
Now- the DSMI_DIR is supposed to identify the path where the API trusted
agent file is located. The manual says this should be dsmapitca or
dsmtca. Couldn't locate either file anywhere on either drive, so what's
up there? Obviously guessing at the path.

 5. configure your database for *sm, see "db2 get db cfg for <dbname>",
and
 check/set your *sm variables.
 ( they are adsm_* in udb 6, but tsm_* in udb 7 IIRC )

when I run the get db cfg command (after db2stop and db2start) it shows
the ADSM  parameters but with no entries. Am I skipping or missing a
step here?

 7. enjoy

 Oh. And don't forget to set up the management class for your backups as
it is
 described in the redbooks... :)

 Hope this helps.
 --
                         bx

I did configure UDB to backup the database locally and can use ADSM to
get a copy of this backup but it'd be nice to get the direct hook
working.

TIA

--
Jim Kirkman