ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:26:33
>I'm programming a client using the TSM API. The client needs to store =
data
>from a Win NT system. Another version of the client has to run on Unix
(e.g.
>HP/UX) and retrieve the data. This does not work because the NT =
filespaces
>are not visible on HP/UX. I opened a problem record at IBM but they =
told me
>that platform independend access is not possible. Does anybody know a
>solution for this problem? I don't see a good reason why it should be =
>matter which platform retrieves the data.

Christian - Cross-platform operations are typically prohibited, =
principally
            because clients have to be tailored to their respective
platforms
and file systems.  Trying to restore NTFS data to a Unix file system is =
not
viable concept.  Even within Unix, for that matter, it is not possible =
even
query files of another Unix system where the file system types differ, =
in
that
the querying client isn't programmed to understand them.

It has also historically been the case that API operations are =
incompatible
with standard client operations.  I do note the more recent API manuals
suggesting that there is movement to make the API more compatible, but =
it's
not there yet.  In any case, don't expect to be able to operate across
platform types.

  Richard Sims, BU