ADSM-L

Re: ANR0314W Recovery log usage

2000-11-22 12:18:08
Subject: Re: ANR0314W Recovery log usage
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:17:03 -0500
>I received the below error messages in the Activity log:
>
>ANR0314W Recovery log usage exceeds 98 % of its assigned capacity
>
>ANR2104I Activity log process restarted - recovered from an insufficient
>space condition in the Log or Database.
>
>The first error caused 3 scheduled backups to fail.  After the recovery,
>the remaining backups were successful.  According to "the formula", our
>database and recovery log size is sufficient.  What else could be causing
>these errors?  How could this be prevented in the future?

The sufficiency of the Recovery Log or Database really depend upon their
ability to accommodate the amount of processing that should normally occur.
(You don't want to oversize, for rare events.)  Your Activity Log (if still
intact) should show recent events (client sessions or server processes)
contributing to the Recovery Log usage level since the last DB backup
occurred.  Massive client operations or an Expiration that happened to expire
a very large number of files will consume a lot of Recovery Log space.
Consider doing Incremental db backups during the day, in addition to a Full
once a day if you can afford it, or adjust the DBBackuptrigger.  Add server
monitoring to catch things going over threshold values so that you can be
notified.

  Richard Sims, BU