ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC - disadvantages only?

2000-11-20 14:51:42
Subject: Re: DIRMC - disadvantages only?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:45:10 -0500
>When I issued a restore for any given FS, all of the dirs were recreated
>(restored) WITHOUT any tapes being called for.  The first mount didn't
>occur until a data file was needed.
>
>Signed confused.    :-<

Jochem - I think you missed some postings...
         In file system types where the directory structure is simple, *SM is
able to store the directory attributes, need to reconstruct it, solely within
the *SM database, same as it does with empty files.  Only if the otherwise
simple object is accompanied by an Access Control List does it involve so much
information that it has to be stored in a storage pool.  That's the beauty of
simpler file systems: your directory structure can be restored immediately, with
no media mounts.  This is generally the case in Unix systems, as your AIX.

I summarize this in my  http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts, under
"DIRMc".

   Richard Sims, BU